Wednesday, September 5, 2012

Blogging: Pros and Cons for Adult Learners

Ahh, to blog or not to blog.  I personally think the biggest challenge that K-State students face is blogging in a safe and academic setting.  Currently, Axio isn't set up to allow blogging, which can pose a bit of a challenge.   They are working on the functionality, but what they are finding is it isn't as easy to integrate blogging and wiki software directly into the established platform.  
Cherry Cream Soda
With regards to the advantages of blogging, it allows students to express some personality.  This is sometimes hard to convey in a distance setting, but if you sat next to me in class on a regular basis, you would see that I own more purple shirts than any other color.  I actually set my blog up to reflect the official Kansas State University purple hex code #512888.  I am using Cherry Cream Soda font, which is cool because it reminds of me my childhood.  I don't think I could have that freedom with message board posts.  
Blogging also allows an area for free thought.  I have used them in a previous class for reflection.  Sometimes I am not the most eloquent writer, so this causes a little personal frustration.  In addition, I feel like blogging needs to be interesting.  I follow a few blogs, but I follow them because of the way they are written and expressed.  There is almost an artistic component to it, which is an area that I have some opportunity.  
When comparing and contrasting blogging to message board posts, I tend to lean more towards message board posting, mostly because it allows, for my learning style, a more organized way to present and follow threads of several people, where a blog is more focused on one person's reflection.   
What I did find interesting was how the case studies showed the most success in three people exercises (King & Cox, 2011).  Having the same people review your blog throughout the semester could provide beneficial feedback.  I think that there is a place for blogging in the classroom, especially as a reflection tool, but when it comes to engaging several people into a discussion, I prefer the message board format.   
 

3 comments:

  1. I agree with your comment about "Blogs being used for free thought." and "one persons reflection." I started my own personal blog not to long ago and I find it comforting to just say whatever is on my mind.
    Do you think student's personal blogs are a useful tool for educational purposes?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your comment about blogging as a reflection tool got me thinking about the differences between blogging and discussion boards. What we write on a discussion board and what we actually think as expressed in a blog might be very different. Discussion boards require us to make connections between the course material and the subject under discussion with a limited audience whereas, a blog is more a reflection of our experiences expressed in a manner of our choosing, given a much wider audience. It seems a blog provides us a public forum to express our personality and individualism, whereas discussion boards impose some level of restriction. Oravec (2002), referred to blogging as a personal journal, which represents our reflections of a particular topic or idea. Reflection allow us freedom of thought and careful consideration of ideas.

    If what I am thinking is not completely off base, how then does an instructor use a blog to insure understanding and application (learning) of course materials given more freedom of thought in a public forum? Does the use of blogs as a learning platform require instructors to give up some level of control and does that have an influence on learning outcomes?

    BTW, your personality comes through in your blog ☺ Love the purple!

    Reference
    Oravec, J. (2002). Bookmarking the world: Weblog applications in educationJournal of Adolescent & Adult Literacy, 45(7),
    pp. 616-621.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You have hit on a few good points here. When looking at how blogs can be used in the Adult Educational setting we have been asked to discuss the pros and the cons. A blog is most definitely a different form of communication and expression. I have also involved myself in discussion boards which are more interactive and collaborative in my opinion. It is more along the lines of an online conversation. When you use a format like a discussion board you do lose the individual personality and creativity that you have on a blog. A blog is YOUR space that looks and "feels" like you. I would imagine that some personality types will struggle with blogging because of what you have said about your personality.

    ReplyDelete