Monday, October 8, 2012

Audio/Video / Podcast: Pros and Cons for Adult Learners.

First and foremost, thank you for stopping by since I am really late on getting this post, I totally missed this assignment and have been working on my interview.  I love Podcasts!  I actually download them on my iPhone and listen to them in the car on my rides between Manhattan and Kansas City.  One of my favorites is from TED and the most recent one I listened to was regarding heart disease and women.  You can view them at  http://www.ted.com/.  What is great is that there are different ways to produce and enjoy them, some of video, but I am a fan of the audio only variety as they allow a little more flexibility in how they can be enjoyed.  It seems like there is a podcast for everyone, from church services to running, photography, you can find a podcast from almost everywhere.  I am a huge Apple consumer, so I find most of my podcasts at the iTunes Store and what I really love is the vast array of free podcasts.  We have become a society that loves to share, so it is great to find like-minded people sharing information. 

Pros to integrating audio and video podcasts into the curriculum are:
- Interactive way to engage students
- Easy way to integrate quick pieces of information that can be interchangeable as materials/information change 
- Can appeal to all types of people depending on if the visual aspect is utilized or not

Cons
- Copyright and legality issues (Kind & Cox, 2011)
- Validity of the information presented in the podcast

Overall, I think they are great, and use them in my personal live so I would love to see them in my "student" life as well!

References:
King, K. & Cox, T. (2011). The Professor’s Guide to Taming Technology. Charlotte, NC: 
Information Age Publishing. 

No comments:

Post a Comment